Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Gilgamesh, etc. off to Big D!



As I was packing up all these pieces for the shows in Dallas, I suddenly decided to let the Gilgamesh rolling pin make some cookies before he got stuck in a box. With a real rolling pin I rolled out some slabs of porcelain and then used "Gilgamesh Repeating Himself" to do just that...repeat himself. It was quite a thrill to see little Mesopotamian warriors, griffins, Trees of Life, etc. unroll into the clay. I used about two-thirds of a bag of Grolleg porcelain making these slabs that look like cartoon versions of ancient Sumerian roller seals.









Meanwhile, other pieces needed small repairs before packing. Feeney the monkey from "Monkey Mind Marriage" got a facelift. Not really. Her wedding veil broke a long time ago and I had to fix it up.



Ha! These slabs look like the Rosetta Stone or something. Then I had to wash off the porcelain rolling pin. I suppose it could go in the dishwasher. And, get back to packing up 28 boxes of art. Many more have already been delivered to Valley House Gallery and the McKinney Ave. Contemporary. Somehow all these fit in our two cars, thanks to Adam the art sherpa who is driving with me to Dallas. The exhibit is finally happening, thanks to Rick Brettell. AND Rick Geyer, who has been my unpaid communications director for the last month. What would I do without you???




.




No comments:

Post a Comment